Grated fresh coconut (dry & unsweetened) – 1 1/3 cups
Salted peanut – 175 g
Cube shrimp paste – 1/4
Onion (quartered) – 1
Garlic cloves (crushed) – 3
Oil – 3 tsp
Tamarind pulp (soaked in) – 1/2 tsp
Warm water – 2 tsp
Coriander seeds (dry-fried & grounded) – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds (dry-fried & grounded) – 1/2 tsp
Dark brown sugar – 1 tsp
1. Deep fry the coconut in a large frying pan over a medium heat, turning constantly crisp & a golden color.
2. Leave to cool & add half to the peanuts. Toss together to mix.
3. Grind the shrimp paste with onion & garlic to a paste in the food processor. Stir- fry in hot oil without browning.
4. Strain the tamarind & reverse the juice. Add the coriander, cumin, tamarind juice and brown sugar to the fried paste.
5. Stir constantly & cook for 3 mins. Stir in the remaining toasted coconut & leave to cool. When quite cold, mix with the peanut & coconut mixture.
6. Now Coconut & peanut Relish is ready to serve.
July 18, 2017 nradmin